A mashup of the words "local" and "anecdote", lokadot (pronounced "low" + "kuh" + "dote") is a mobile application (currently for iPhone) that serendipitously streams crowd-sourced audio files based on your location, listening preferences, and the nearby points of interest you encounter. Lokadot provides a delightfully unique and effortless way to discover your world. It taps an ever-expanding audio archive of stories that people share about their experiences in and knowledge of the places we all inhabit and visit. Anyone can contribute, and anyone can listen. Could be in any language. About anything. Anywhere.
Where did the inspiration for lokadot come from?
We've simply visited far too many places while not bringing the resources we should have to fully recognize, understand and appreciate our surroundings. Lokadot is the natural outgrowth of our desire to create an effortless and enjoyable means for not ever letting that happen again.
Where are the lokadot offices located?
We are proudly based in Center City Philadelphia Pennsylvania - a vibrant city full of talented entrepreneurs, technologists and creative professionals that together make up a wonderfully inspirational community we fondly call home. We find ourselves particularly thankful to our closest friends in Philly Startup Leaders, Indy Hall and the Arts & Business Council of Greater Philadelphia.
What is the revenue model?
Organizations who publish audio content to Lokadot pay a recurring subscription fee in order to do so. The organizations who are currently piloting Lokadot are doing so for free. Once we reach a critical mass of publishers, content and users, we'll be able to monetize Lokadot many different ways beyond subscriptions, including premium features and functionality, premium content, in-app purchases, professional and creative services, and commercial in-app (opt-in) audio advertising and Internet radio advertising.
Who's behind it?
Cliff Stevens, Founder, CEO & President
Haseeb Yousaf - iPhone App Development Lead
Sergey Gerashchenko - Cloud Platform Developer
Veruschka Stevens - Chief Spark
Bob Cooper – Advisor/Mentor/Connector
- (i) - The BIA/Kelsey Group - "Digital Strategies for Broadcasting"
- (ii) - Nielsen – "Smartphones to Overtake Feature Phones in U.S. by 2011"
- (iii) - Nielsen – "How U.S. Adults Use Radio and Other Forms of Audio"
- (iv) - U.S. Travel Assocation - "U.S. Travel Forecasts"
- (v) - Gallop Poll - August 2007 - "Workers' Average Commute Round-Trip Is 46 Minutes in a Typical Day"
- (vi) - The BIA/Kelsey Group - "BIA/Kelsey Sees Prospects for Radio Industry Revenues Increasing in 2010 After Bottoming Out Last Year at $13.7 Billion"
Lokadot is a FREE smartphone application, currently available for the iPhone. Stay tuned while we continue to build out our functionality, expand the geographic footprint of our content, and the number of mobile platforms on which lokadot will run.
Frequently asked questions
- What is lokadot?
- Is the lokadot app FREE?
- How does lokadot work?
- What should I expect to happen when running lokadot on my mobile phone?
- Where can I use lokadot?
- Audio...is that it?
- What kind of audio can I listen to and how can I better manage the types of audio I'll be hearing?
- Who creates the content and associated audio files that I'll be hearing?
Need more information? Please email us at info at lokadot.com. We're a very small team and we receive a high volume of requests each day, so we apologize in advance if we're not able to get back to you immediately.